MDPP is a venture partner of the Clinical Translation and Commercialisation - Medtech (CTCM) program. The program, delivered by MTPConnect, is offered under the 2020 Early Stage Translation and Commercialisation Support Grant of the Medical Research Future Fund's Medical Research Commercialisation Initiative. The MDPP is one of three CTCM Program Partners, working alongside Medical Technology Association of Australia (MTAA) and Cicada Innovations to provide mentoring and commercialisation advice to CTCM applicants and awardees.
The $19.75 million program is designed to identify and nurture high-quality medical device projects that have commercial potential and support their translation through early clinical trials. The program is focused on Australian small to medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) and aims to boost commercialisation of home-grown medical products.
Projects must focus on the development of a medical device for human use, the purpose of which is to diagnose, prevent, monitor, treat or alleviate a disease or injury, or modify or monitor anatomy or physiological functions of the body. Funding will only be awarded to projects where the device’s capability has already been validated with research and/or preclinical studies.
The below projects were successful in securing funding from Round 1 of the program:
- ARIA Research Pty Ltd (NSW) – a non-invasive bionic vision system to provide people with vision imparement with independence
- Eudaemon Technologies Pty Ltd (NSW) – alternative contraceptive options through the next generation condom
- LBT Innovations Ltd (SA) – a desktop, automated device for microbiology culture plate reading and reporting
- Navi Medical Technologies Pty Ltd (VIC) – a device to safely place and monitor paediatric central vascular catheters
- OncoRes Medical (WA) – a diagnostic imaging system for cancer surgery.
The below projects were successful in securing funding from Round 2 of the program:
- 4DMedical Limited, (ASX:4DX), VIC, $1,100,000 award for the development of 4DMedical XV-Perfusion: A Contrast-free, Perfusion-enabled 4D lung scanner
- CathRx Ltd, NSW, $1,500,000 award for the development of the CathRx Pulsed Field Ablation System for Treatment of Atrial Fibrillation
- Medical Developments International Limited, (ASX:MDI), VIC, $1,500,000 award for the development of Medical Developments International Next Generation, Self-contained Rapid-release Penthrox Inhaler for safe, effective acute pain relief
- Ventora Medical Pty Ltd, VIC, $500,000 award for the Development and Clinical Translation of a Neonatal Airway Pressure Monitor
- VitalTrace Pty Ltd, WA, $656,666 award for Clinical translation of a VitalTrace novel continuous lactate biosensor for fetal monitoring
- Vivid White Pty Ltd, VIC, $1,000,000 award to Conduct the Clinical Study, Manufacturing and Registration of a Medical Device to Treat Glaucoma and Prevent Blindness.
For more information about the CTCM Program contact MDPP's MedTech Venture Partner, Dr Kerstin Schuetz or visit the CTCM website for information including guidelines, details about eligibility and how to apply.
Please sign up to the MTPConnect newsletter at https://www.mtpconnect.org.au/network to keep informed of any CTCM announcements.